In my not-so-humble opinion, the best party favor is an edible one. Recently, I was delighted at a friend’s baby shower when our delectable take-aways were these long, crunchy pretzel rods that looked as if they took a swim in a fine pool of chocolate. Once I bit into the sweet treat, I was in for an absolutely pleasant surprise, as concealed beneath the sheet of chocolate was the silkiest, stick-to-your-teeth coating of caramel. Although these dipped rods are reminiscent of a classic Twix candy bar, the specks of salt that decorate the pretzel elevate the whole flavor profile, making them nothing short of gourmet.
I quickly dreamed up ways to decorate these in my own style, and after a jaunt to my local specialty food store, I found “Judaica” sprinkles. While these chocolate-caramel sticks made for great baby shower favors, they can also impress guests at your next adults-only event, and can be decorated with countless possibilities. Easily wrapped in cellophane bags or an air-tight container, these can be stored for up to one week.
- 1 bag long pretzel rods
- 1 bag soft caramel candies
- 1 bag good quality chocolate chunks
- 2 tbs water
- sprinkles to decorate (optional)
- Place unwrapped caramels and water in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 1 minute at a time, until melted. Mix well between each interval.
- Once caramel is melted, dip pretzel rods in the caramel until the caramel reaches the midpoint of the rod. Use a spoon to remove excess caramel from rod. Place rod on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and let the caramel set.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Once the chocolate is sufficiently melted, dip the caramel-coated rods in the chocolate, and let the excess drip off. Lay on parchment-lined baking sheet to set, and add sprinkles if wanted. You can put them in the refrigerator to speed up the setting process.
- Store in an airtight container for one week.